Taking Spiritual Action
INTRODUCTORY OUTLINE –
I. These distinctive spiritual attitudes (vv. 1-12), will then lead us to “A DECISIVE SPIRITUAL ACTION”.
II. We just learned in the previous studies that we are to be HAPPY, ie. fulfilled in Christ Jesus.
III. Does our attitude determine our actions, or at least have an impact on our actions? I certainly believe so.
I. BEING THE SALT OF THE EARTH: JESUS SAID THAT WE ARE.
A. Salt as a seasoning adds taste and flavor to the foods we eat.
1. Christians being salt will add seasoning, taste, flavor to the evil world.
2. Just as there are some foods you don’t like there will be some seasonings the worldly will not like.
B. Salt can also be used as a preservative, such as used to be done before refrigeration, to keep pork or beef for eating later.
1. Christians are a preservative in the world we live in, where God’s judgment could fall and completely destroy a place it is the presence of those who love Jesus that prevents it.
2. Think, for example, of Lot in Sodom, and Abraham’s pleading for the city, asking mercy for down to 10 people to keep it.
C. Salt causes the action of thirst.
1. The Christian should live his/her life in such fashion as to cause the unredeemed to thirst for Jesus.
2. Living righteously, yet with the joy of the Lord will cause others to seek Him.
D. Salt causes a healing/cleansing action.
1. It stings in an open wound, and the lives and testimony of a Christian will cause conviction in the lives of the unredeemed.
2. They may not like you, or the way you live, but they will be convicted of their sin, and by the power of the Spirit of God, and God’s drawing them, they may be saved.
E. One final thing to consider about salt is that it melts ice.
1. The warm heart of the Christian who does not condemn the already condemned, with the love of Jesus is the salt of the EARTH in action.
2. The ‘Unsavory’ salt is good for nothing but to make roadways.
II. BEING THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD: JESUS SAID THAT WE ARE.
A. The action of light
1. Light dispels darkness.
2. Light casts shadows.
B. Light and darkness cannot co-exist; they cannot be together in the same place – light always overcomes darkness. Jesus is the light, “And in Him is no darkness at all” 1 John 1:5.
“The light shines in darkness, and the darkness overcomes it not” John 1:5
C. Light can be seen from miles and miles away, and you can still be in the dark
1. Its illumination is only good when you are within its reach.
2. When you get into the realm of the light, you will begin to see yourself as you really are.
D. When we are the light of Christ we will work the same way that Jesus works.
1. We will not cover the light in order to keep from being unthreatening to people.
2. We let the light shine brightly, and do not let sin have dominion over us.
a. When sin reigns the light will be hidden or taken away.
E. The light is the light it does not lower itself to bars, bunny mansions and/or rock shows.
I. AS THE SALT OF THE EARTH WE WILL INFLUENCE OTHERS BY BEING THE FLAVORING, PRESERVATIVE, HEALING OUR SOCIETY NEEDS.
II. AS THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD WE WILL SHINE THE LIGHT OF CHRIST UPON THE DARKNESS OF CONDEMNED LIVES.
-Tim A. Blankenship